At the Well Conferences, Inc. introduces…
From the Fire: Leadership Academy for Young Men
A Rites of Passage Program
July 21-August 2, 2019
Princeton, NJ 08540
Leadership Mentorship Rites of Passage
From the Fire: Leadership Academy for Young Men is a two week boarding program on the campus of Princeton University that is tailored to scholars from diverse socio-economic backgrounds who are currently in the tenth or eleventh grades of high school. From the Fire seeks to nurture and cultivate scholars by providing an enriching environment that combines leadership projects, mentoring from seasoned male influencers, and an exceptional Rites of Passage program. Participants will be talented scholars with stellar academics and community service.
Why From the Fire
Young men of color today face challenges unprecedented in our history including the fire of social, cultural, and psychological challenges.
The answer forged in flame in a combination of the following components:
- Rites of Passage provide a journey of self-discovery that unlocks the hidden resilience within our students as fundamental to their manhood.
- Mentorship is offered as a form of “deep caring” in order to overcome widespread indifference to our most vulnerable young men.
- Leadership Development through transformative education will encourage young men of color to support each other and strive together toward high expectations on a journey to become industry and thought leaders.
From the Fire’s curriculum and programming is research- based and designed by a team of educators and leaders with decades of experience in adult and young adult education, social change activism and community development. It is rooted in the spiritual and intellectual traditions forged in the justice struggles of African American and other global minorities for the last 500 years and longer. The program’s core beliefs and practices are guided by an indomitable faith in the human courage, creativity and potential of these souls, indeed in all human beings.
Delroy Lindo, Actor and Director
Program Chair, From the Fire: Leadership Academy for Young Boys
Delroy Lindo has had memorable roles in films such as The Cider House Rules; Heist; and garnered critical acclaim in a trio of films with director Spike Lee, Clockers; Crooklyn and Malcolm X. Other notable films include Wondrous Oblivion; The Core; The One; Gone in 60 Seconds; Ransom; Get Shorty; Romeo Must Die; This Christmas (also as executive producer); the recent remake of Point Break; and Pixar’s Up! He’ll next be seen in the independent films, Malicious and 001LithiumX. On TV, he currently appears as Adrian Boseman in CBS’ The Good Fight (sequel to The Good Wife). He’s featured in TV series such as Believe; The Chicago Code and Kidnapped; and in TV films, such as Soul of The Game; Profoundly Normal; Strange Justice (winning a Peabody Award); & Glory & Honor. He won an NAACP Award for a guest appearance on Law and Order: SVU. On Broadway, Lindo received Tony and Drama Desk Award nominations, playing Herald Loomis in August Wilson’s, Joe Turner’s Come and Gone; and played Walter Lee in the Kennedy Center and Los Angeles productions of A Raisin in the Sun (Helen Hayes Award Nomination and NAACP Image Award, Best Actor). Lindo directed the plays Blue Door and Joe Turner’s Come and Gone at Berkeley Repertory Theater; and won a Los Angeles Theater Weekly Award directing the play, Medal of Honor Rag. Mr. Lindo has an Honorary Doctorate in Arts and Humanities from Virginia Union University; a BFA degree (cum laude) from San Francisco State University; and a MFA from New York University.
Actor, Producer, and Humanitarian
Co-founder and Director of Curriculum
Rev. Toby Sanders is a teacher, motivational speaker, writer, and social activist for educational and economic justice and faith-based economic development. He is an adjunct professor, scholar, youth mentor, board member of Children’s Futures, and former President of the Trenton Board of Education. Rev. Sanders is the founding Pastor of Beloved Community of Trenton, New Jersey. He is an honors graduate of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia and a Masters of Divinity graduate of Princeton Theological Seminary where he received the prestigious Aaron E. Gast Award in Urban Ministry. He studied Religion Ethics and Politics at Princeton University, where he received a Presidential Fellowship.
- Critical reading and writing
- Team building group projects
- Motivational speakers and leaders
- Financial aid and scholarship boot camp
- One-on-one pairing with a male mentor
- Mentor/mentee relationship building during and after the program
- Mentor and mentee training
- Peer mentoring
Rites of Passage Program
- Assists scholars with social-, communal-, cultural-, and self-development
- Experiential activities include application of life skills
- Closing Ceremony will reflect upon the scholars’ transition and growth
Tuition and Fees
- $2,995.00 -Two Week Boarding Program
- Tuition and fees include curriculum, meals, and field trips.
We are committed to providing need-based assistance to select qualified applicants. Please indicate the request for financial assistance on the application. From the Fire will provide a limited number of full scholarships.
Apply early. Financial aid is provided on a first come basis.
Participants are selected on a competitive basis. A qualified application includes the following components:
- Completed online application
- Required release forms (applicable if accepted to program)
- 2 Letters of recommendation
- 3.0 GPA
- Complete the online application
- Submit recommendation letters
- Recent high school transcript
- A 2-page essay on the one of the following topics:
What person in your community has made a positive impact and how has that individual inspired you.
Describe two creative activities that could help make your community a better place.
After acceptance to the program, the following documents are required.
- Medical and photo release form
- Immunization record
The essay and required forms can be sent via the email that will be delivered after the application has been processed.
Space is extremely limited. Apply early!